Thursday, June 26, 2008

Random...

Was reading up on a recent interview with Bjarne Stroustrup, the developer of C++. He talked about the troubles that he had faced in convincing people to use C++ for systems programming, the evolution of the language and the road ahead for the developers. If you ever wondered how C++ got its name then the answer, in Bjarne's words - As "C with Classes" (my ancestor to C++) became popular within Bell Labs, some people found that name too much of a mouthful and started to call it C. This meant that they needed to qualify what they meant when they wanted to refer to Dennis Ritchie's language, so they used "Old C", "Straight C", and such. Somebody found that disrespectful to Dennis (neither Dennis nor I felt that) and one day I received a "request" though Bell Labs management channels to find a better name. As a result, we referred to C++ as C84 for a while. That didn't do much good, so I asked around for suggestions and picked C++ from the resulting list. Everybody agreed that semantically ++C would have been even better, but I thought that would create too many problems for non-geeks. The interview can be found at http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;408408016;pp;1;fp;16;fpid;1

I also came across this interesting blog http://vestpocketconsultant.entrepreneur.com/. The blogger, Rosalind Resnick, is the founder and CEO of a consulting firm in New york. I will be keeping a keen eye on her blog. Will probably provide me with useful tips to achieve my long-term goals.
The day at work was pretty good. I have officially started work on my new project. I am excited about the things I can achieve by working on this new venture.
I hope India defeats Pakistan today. I have a friend's birthday bash to attend at 12 midnight. Also, can't wait for the Spain vs Russia SF. And thats me signing off for the day...

No comments: