Friday, January 23, 2009

Do I need an MBA?

The following was a comment on the Stanford ding and other updates post. I couldn't resist responding to it and have decided to post my reply rather than leave a comment.

------------------------------------------------------------------
"I am going to provide a different perspective as a sanity check.

Don't get an MBA. I just finished mine at one of the schools in your blog, and I can definitely tell you that it was not worth the investment of time, money, and the opportunity cost of doing something else with your life. I have a lot of Indian friends that have not found a job (or received a crappy job offer) that graduated. And the benefit of networking and "connections" is helpful, but it is also a lot of hype since your connections are worried about their own jobs.

You can get close to 90% of the MBA experience by going to your library to read a few books on corporate finance, operations, and marketing strategy. And you can make just as valuable connections by joining professional associations."
------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edit: Anon, would it be possible for us to touch base? Please drop me a mail (ashwanthp@gmail.com).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Thank you for your comment. "Do I need an MBA?" is something that I have pondered over for many months and I can write my longest post yet as the answer. For now, I'll keep it brief. My reasons for an MBA-

1. New Challenges.

2. International exposure and outlook.

3. The networking.

4. Strategy Consulting. Hell, getting into consulting after an MBA is tough. Imagine trying to switch careers without a management degree. However, I don't intend to stick with consulting for too long. I'd like to start my own firm and the consulting stint will help in the preparation.

5. Above all, the BRAND. When I speak, I'd like everyone to listen. An MBA from a TOP school will at least make people stand up and take notice.

It is for these reasons that I have been extremely selective with my schools. The ones that I have chosen are highly reputed and have stood the test of time.

It may be true that the theoretical experience can be gained by visiting a library but I am not sure if professionals like us will have the time to do it. It requires dedication and a sustained effort. I'd be better off learning about corporate finance and strategy for 10 hours a day, in a classroom, rather than 5 hours a week. More so, if my intentions are to make a career out of them.

Yes, you can make valuable connections by joining professional associations but the bonding wouldn't be the same. The levels of commitment would differ. A friend, whom you have spent two years of your life studying with, will be much closer to you than an acquaintance from your "Round Table of Money-makers". I hope you get the difference.

There are pros and cons of doing an MBA but it is a significant investment, nevertheless, of both time and money. It is imperative that you plan well before taking the plunge. I wish you well and hope your friends find the jobs that they desire.

Cheers

10 comments:

Rohit said...

What I gather from your comments is that you expect an MBA degree to provide everything except academics :)

I can understand, though. An MBA is much more than textbook education, which was the primary aim of the author of the original comment.

Ashwanth said...

Hey Rohit,

An MBA is, indeed, so much more than just the academics. You will learn as much from your classmates as you would from your books.

In any case, I had mentioned in the post that I'd prefer spending 10 hours/day in class, learning finance and strategy, than visiting a library to read up on the topics. So, academics do play an important part but you would expect that from any school. Its "what more the school provides" that makes this choice different.

Cheers

Rohit said...

Yeah, you're right. As the alma-mater, a B-school is responsible for shaping the students' minds.

BTW, I've been following all your posts on PG as well. I go by the moniker rsb1982 on PG.

I do hope you make it to the school of your choice.

Ashwanth said...

Rohit/rsb1982,

Dude...You have been a source of inspiration for many. Congratulations on the UCLA and Tepper admits. Have you withdrawn your Ross application?

Looks like you'll be joining ISB. Good choice.

Best

Rohit said...

Thx Ashwanth...

Yes, I won't be mailing Ross to stay on the waitlist and got dinged w/o i/v at Stanford...

I thought really hard about UCLA vs ISB, but from a feasibility and goals perspective, ISB is the best option right now.

Anonymous said...

You could probably add 'low risk' as well in the list. MBS are much more employable (if they get fired) than the normal graduates.

Btw great post, it should take rounds in blogosphere. I'd link it on my blog soon.

Prashant said...

Hmmm... from my perspective, if you enter a good B-school with rock-solid reasoning (concerning what to expect), then there'll be few reasons to crib about it 2 (or 1) years down the line.

And I totally agree with you - that although we can theoretially learn much of the coursework ourselves, the classroom & campus atmosphere is a big factor in itself.

However, I do digress on the networking front - IMHO you should not look up to it so much, because in any case the network you develop will not be too useful to you for the first few years after graduation. In the long run - yes, it's good to have; but by that time you will have developed a professional one as well.

Anonymous said...

Word.

Hope all is well.

ANAGHA said...

I completely agree with ya response to the comment you got. The B school may not exactly be wa=hat is expected from it but it definately will be much more than what one can learn sitting in ones cubicle.

School Management Solution said...

For Post-MBA, we enter the real world, where there are no interpersonal skill instructors, free professional coaches, open-mind professors, and understanding classmates.