Monday, December 1, 2008

Back from Sabarimala

I'm back from my annual pilgrimage to Sabarimala, the holy abode of Lord Ayyappa. There was heavy rush but we managed to pray well. This temple that does not pose restrictions on men from visiting the temple (Ayyappa is a bachelor God and hence, women between the age of 10 and 50 aren't allowed). People from all religions throng the temple and during the peak season the rush is second only to Mecca.

The visit to the temple involves a 41 days fast that requires the devotee to:
  • Wear black clothes
  • Remain unshaved
  • Walk bare feet
  • Avoid non-vegetarian food - supposed to eat food that is only cooked at home
  • Avoid alcohol, intoxication and women
  • Wake up as early as 4am, have bath and offer prayers before doing anything else
Basically, one must live life like a saint for those 41 days. Since I live alone, here in Hyderabad, I couldn't follow certain rules (like clothing, food from outside). I also had to shave my beard before my ISB interview. But I did follow the rest of the stipulations religiously. The pilgrimage helps develop tremendous self-control.

I started going when I was four years old. This was my 17th year to the temple.

I returned on Saturday and spent the weekend reading about the terror attacks on Mumbai. I was shocked to say the least. For long has India and Mumbai been savaged by these stains on humanity. I salute the ones who sacrificed their lives in trying to rescue the hostages. May the souls of the victims rest in peace. I pray that God gives their families the courage and strength to bear the losses.

Its my sister's birthday today. I plan to gift her "The Tales of Beedle the Bard", by J. K. Rowling. I am sure she'll like it.

Today also happens to be World Aids Day. So, people, please spread the awareness.

I had sold my Dell Inspiron laptop two weeks ago and will be getting my new Dell Studio 15" this week. So thats one other thing to look forward to...

Now I better rush to work. Tc.

6 comments:

Prashant said...

Regarding your pilgrimage, all I can say is "Wow"!

That requires a lot of self-control... Not sure if I would be able to do it!

Unknown said...

The HIV/AIDS crisis in India continues to shatter so many lives — young women widowed and deserted, thousands of children have been orphaned and entire families shunned because of the stigma of this deadly disease.

Luckily, there are NGOs that extend a hand of support to these people in their time of need by providing shelter, food and medical care. Many of these NGOs can be found on GiveIndia, an online donation portal that connects donors with causes they care about.

Visit our special AIDS Day page here

http://www.giveindia.org/t-world-aids-day.aspx

Anonymous said...

Good to hear that you had another successful pilgrimage. It must be tough to remain steadfast during those 41 days of restrictions!

I, too, was shocked to hear what took place in Mumbai. My wishes go out to the families and friends of all of the people who were hurt.

In better news, congrats on getting your new computer. I have been saving up for some time to buy one myself. : )

Ashwanth said...

@Prashant and Matt
The restrictions were difficult at first but then you get used to it. In fact, I look forward to it every year. Kinda cleanses your system :-D. Will have to figure a way out to make the pilgrimage next year though, i.e. if I get an admit :-)

@Matt
Thanks dude! Its just awesome. Hope you get a real good one as well. I managed to get a nice discount for this one, thanks to a friend who works for Dell.

Vivacious Vetti said...

Macchan, I have a DELL Inspirion too, it's 6400. How much did you manage to sell your old laptop for ?

Ashwanth said...

The price depends on the condition of the laptop. I managed to get INR 12,000 for the computer that is four years old. Thats pretty decent...